My research is developed through creative practice in mixed reality (augmented reality, virtual reality), digital media making and digital learning innovations. It draws upon interdisciplinary frameworks in the arts, humanities and sciences and explores a range of areas related to the practices of immersive experience design, digital & transmedia storytelling and interactive multimedia production.
Over the years my work has focused on several areas and themes including exploring civically-engaged storytelling, investigating how creative technologies and mixed reality have led to new ways of creating, spreading and engaging in narratives. I have also made projects that experiment with ‘disruptive’, augmented and ‘open/participatory’ forms of filmmaking, publishing and pedagogic design.
I have been involved in a range of funded research projects and commissions in the areas of Mixed Reality, Multimedia Production, Innovative Filmmaking, Digital Publishing, Interactive Media, Experiential Learning Design, Apps and Interface Design, Digital Archiving and Gallery Installations.
Between 2011-2015 much of this work was located within the The Centre for Disruptive Media at Coventry University. I am now part of Future Technologies , Creative AR Hub and the Arts Pedagogy Research Groups at Manchester School of Art.
Here are some of my projects:
Immersive Media, Mixed Reality and Digital Storytelling
This includes lecturing and researching on the cultural, social and critical aspects of areas such as: Immersive Storytelling, Mixed Reality, Digital Experience Design, Transmedia Film Practices, Models of Open Source Creativity, Interactive Documentary, Surveillance and Big Data, Viral Culture, Convergence, Internet of Things Storytelling, Pervasive Digital Culture and so on…
Most recently I have been examining the potential of new mixed reality technologies within narrative storytelling. This examines how the convergence of experience design, performance, screen media and networked cultures have collided over recent years to produce new forms of connected possibilities for storytellers and their participants through hybrid and mixed reality.
My experimental projects in this area include:
- Medical Training VR Simulation – collaboration with Liverpool Medical School and Realspace LTD
- KAFKA VR – Collaboration with FACT, LIPA to develop a 360 prototype of Kafka’s The Trial
- Beacons For Science (with Salford University): A project looking at digital storytelling in urban environments through connecting sensors in the city with augmented reality and virtual reality experiences.
- I run a number of projects under the banner of the Immersive Storylab including running a student research group on future film.
- I led the development of an innovative new Interdisciplinary Degree in Digital Media that explored the future of digital media through innovative speculative practice.
- Contributed a chapter to the after.video project with Mute Publishing and the Open Humanities Press, looking at the augmented future of video as a critical publishing tool.
- Secrecy Machine #secrecymachine – an experimental and performative transmedia publishing project on the politics and practices of secrecy with Kings College London
- Latitude: An experiential concept feature film – Partly pedagogical, part research project, part experiment in low budget transmedia filmmaking – a feature film told in 12 chapters that are hidden around the web and in the physical world.
- The Liquid Cinema Project/Hyper-Cinema – thinking through the future of storytelling and expanded film through a series of events with industry partners interested in the future of storytelling. Developing speculative prototypes for the future of film.
- Gallery Installations/Film Festival submissions include: Virtual (Anthropo) Reality, The Relativity Delusion, Embodied Perspective, Sounds of the Subway
- I have also developed a number of projects that use augmented reality, social media and networked environments for marketing campaigns and digital learning, including
- Media content developer on the Shakespeare Unplugged App
- Various Augmented Reality and Digital Media projects at Coventry University as part of my role as Creative Multimedia Manager.
Open Education, E-Learning and Publishing Projects
Projects here include experimental collaborations on the future of publishing, exploring digital literacy, investigating innovative teaching methods and developing open education projects in creative media subjects.
I am interested in how emerging media ecologies requires the need for new forms of digital literacies and critique in education- that address the flow and circulation of mediated content and our subjectification and agency within these systems.
Examples of projects here include:
- The after.video project with the Post-Media Lab at Leuphana University, published by Mute
Civically-Engaged Storytelling and Critical Media Practice
I have worked on collaborative projects across a range of academic disciplines to explore the potential of media practice in the context of social, political and cultural change. This includes working on campaign-based media interventions, creative distribution methods, open learning communities and documentary film productions. Examples of work in this area include:
- The Creative Activism Open Class – an open education project exploring the role of art in activism and campaigning.
- Deleuze’s Postscript on Societies of Control: An essay film on emerging power paradigms in contemporary digital culture.
- Post-Secret State: Openness and Transparency in the Era of Gov 2.0?: An essay film on on the politics and practices of secrecy, transparency and open culture
- Falcones Generation: A interactive documentary film on Organised Crime in Sicily, funded by the British Council.
- Migration Aware: Film resources for an transmedia education project on irregular migration in sub-Saharan Africa, funded by UNDP.
- Fracking Futures: A short awareness raising film on Fracking in the North West
- Same But Different: An educational resource pack on Diversity and Equality
- Demystifying Visual Dyslexia: A visualisation project exploring artistic representations of dyslexia.
- Delivering Digital Advantage: A campaign video & report for the West Midlands digital infrastructure needs.
- Blueprint: European Structural Funding documentary commissioned by Add+vantage West Midlands to critically explore the issues of funding throughout the EU.
I have spoken at a number of conferences and consulted with a number of Universities in the UK, China, Australia and Africa. Find out about some of these projects.